Monday, August 12, 2013

The Beginning

It's August 12th at 8:30 am, the first day of my journey back to health. It's been a slow downward spiral health wise for  me, I have a very sedentary job that keeps me behind a desk for up  to 60 hours per week sometimes. I found out in October 2010 that I had high blood pressure and was hospitalized for 10 days while they tried a battery of drugs  to bring it down from 285/135. My doctor  at the time told me i could have died at any moment with it being that elevated.. Great bedside manner that guy had :)

In September of 2012 i was diagnosed with diabetes, this was strike 2! I felt as though I was punched in  the stomach and the wind knocked out of me. I became very diligent about taking the medications but not doing anything about my diet or exercising. I also noticed that I had been steadily gaining weight, got up to 239 lbs. In  June of this year I drove down to Dripping Springs, TX to help Allana and the young people (cant call them kids anymore) pack up to move up to Sioux Falls. During the next 30 days I dropped 30 lbs by just eating a mostly plant based diet.

The realization that brings us here today was I went for a walk with my wife recently and was  barely able to make it up a hill that would have been a piece of cake 10 years ago. I also would like to be able to control my high blood pressure and diabetes without anymore medication.


After weigh in this morning I had some lemon tea, an orange and a smoothie made from mangoes,pineapple  and a various other ingredients that Allana told me but I forgot :) 

More to come... Onward

1 comment:

  1. Way to go honey...awesome post! about the smoothie, it consisted of coconut water,hemp seeds, chia seeds, and a bunch of greens....spinach and spring mix we got from the Farmer's Market. I have faith that you will achieve your health goals...and I'm here by your side to assist you every step of the way....onward!

    ReplyDelete